The history of the Clinic for Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Adolescents begins in 1923 with the founding of the Clinic for Neurology, then the Clinic for Nervous and Mental Diseases. In the same year, the first lecture in developmental neuropsychiatry was held at the Medical Faculty of the University of Belgrade.
After the end of the Second World War, in 1945, the Neuropsychiatric Clinic developed rapidly. Academician Vladimir F. becomes the director of the Clinic and the head of the Neuropsychiatric Department. Vujic. Under the leadership of Academician Vujić, in addition to the accelerated development of the Clinic, neurology and psychiatry of the developmental age are also developing. In 1950, the clinic was expanded with a new, small, temporary building, which the then students called “barracks ” . The new building was intended for the diagnosis and treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders of children and youth from the former Yugoslavia, as well as the Balkans. The Clinic of Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Adolescents is still in the same temporary facility today, after seventy years.
At the end of 1954, the “E “ department of child neuropsychiatry was formed within the Neuropsychiatric Clinic. The first head of that department was Dr. Borivoje Radojicic, later a professor of neuropsychiatry at the Medical Faculty in Belgrade. The basic organization of joint work – the Neuropsychiatric Department for Children and Youth “Jovan Jovanović Zmaj” was founded in 1974. Four years later, in 1978, an independent institution was formed called the Institute of Neuropsychiatry for Children and Adolescents, and in 1983 it was renamed the Clinic of Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Adolescents. Prof. Dr. Borivoje Radojicic managed the Institute and Clinic of Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Adolescents until his retirement in 1985.
The Clinic for Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Adolescents was the initiator of the establishment of the Section for Child Neuropsychiatry of the Serbian Medical Association (SLD). The section was established on November 5, 1970 and was the first such section in the Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (SFRY). The Section for Child Neuropsychiatry and the Clinic were the bearers of all professional and educational activities in the SFRY in the field of child neurology and psychiatry, which they still do today.
The founder and first president of the Section for Child Neuropsychiatry was Professor Dr. Borivoje Radojicic.
The Clinic (then the Institute of Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Adolescents) and the Section for Child Neuropsychiatry in 1979 organized the First Yugoslav Congress of Neurology and Psychiatry of Developmental Age, which was attended by foreign lecturers invited by Svejman, Wright, Ratner > Swaiman, Wright, Ratner ) and others. At the First Yugoslav Congress of Developmental Neurology and Psychiatry, a decision was made to establish the Association of Developmental Neurologists and Psychiatrists within the Association of Medical Societies of Yugoslavia (SID).
The Clinic for Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Adolescents and the Section for Child Neuropsychiatry participated in the organization of the Second Yugoslav Congress of Neurology and Psychiatry of Developmental Age in Opatija in 1983, as well as the Third Yugoslav Congress of Neurology and Developmental Psychiatry in Ljubljana in 1987. and the Fourth Yugoslav Congress of Developmental Neurology and Psychiatry in Novi Sad in 1991.
The first symposium of developmental neurology and psychiatry organized by the Clinic of Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Adolescents was held in 2002, the Second Symposium of Developmental Neurology and Psychiatry with accompanying Seminar of Continuing Education (Molecular Genetics in Child Neurology I) was held in 2003 The Third Symposium of Developmental Neurology and Psychiatry with the accompanying Seminar of Continuing Education (Molecular Genetics in Child Neurology and Psychiatry II) was held in 2004.
Directors of the Clinic of Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Youth from its establishment until today were: prof. dr Borivoje Radojicic, prof. dr Dušan Vranješević, prof. dr Milutin Nenadović, prof.
dr Slobodanka Todorović, prof. dr Aneta Lakić, prof. Dr. Jasna Jančić.
The Clinic of Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Youth currently has organizational units: developmental neurology, developmental psychiatry, polyclinic service (neurophysiology room, neuroophthalmology room, neuropsychology room, ultrasound diagnostics, collaborative services and neurobiochemical laboratory).
The Clinic for Neurology and Psychiatry for Children and Youth, since its establishment, has been and remains the main initiator and organizer of professional and scientific education in the field of neurology and psychiatry of the developmental age in Serbia and the region. It also significantly helped to establish other sections and associations in the field of developmental neurology and psychiatry, both in the country and in the region.
Dimitrije P. Milovanović, Teaching Neuropsychiatry at the Faculty of Medicine in Belgrade, Department, Clinics and Institutes 1923-2005, Monograph, Bigraf, Belgrade, 2006.